UniqueMaterial

This is a work of fiction - Absolute Fiction. For my friends at Absolute Write.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Don't Faint

Stumbling down the corridor, Patti led Paint through the door of the classroom and into the closet chair. “Put your head between your knees, dear, and take deep and easy breaths. Try to relax.”

Paint groaned. Her silvery complexion looked even paler under the fluorescent lighting of the Azalea Room. Patti held her notebook with both hands and fanned Paint gently. “Are you feeling any better, dearie?” she asked.

Paint nodded and mumbled under her breath. “What’s that you say, dear?” Patti asked, “I didn’t hear you.”

Paint sat up with a sigh and a groan. She mopped her brow with a billowing sleeve. “I said, I don’t understand why they call you Patti the Wicked. That was more than kind of you to rescue me from that elevator. I thought I was going to pass out in there.”

“Well, what happened? Didn’t you have anything to eat today? Would you like a piece of chocolate?” Patti asked Paint as she dug into her handbag. “I’m sure I have some with me; or maybe a LifeSaver; would cherry do?”

“Oh, I had lunch”, Paint replied. “I’m just terrified of elevators. I always have been, or I should say for as long as I can remember I have been.”

“Well, you’re safe now, dearie. No more elevators for you today. We’ll take the stairs next time, shall we?”

Paint smiled shyly up at Patti. “Thanks, Patti, you’re a real peach. Let’s move closer to the front now. Shouldn’t the class be starting soon? “Oh, dear”, said Paint, coming to an abrupt halt. “I’ve forgotten what class I’m supposed to be in. Where are we anyway?”

Patti handed Paint her notebooks and guided her to another chair at the front of the room. “This is ‘Making More Money with Magazines’. Good Lord, Paint! You mean to say you’ve forgotten what classes you’ve signed up for?”

“Elevators do that to me, Patti. If I hadn’t been in such a hurry to get here, I’d never have tried it. I’d have taken the stairs. I will next time; believe me.”

As Patti and Paint settled into their chairs and set out their notebooks and pens, the door opened and they turned around to see Jaycinth enter the room followed by a somewhat reluctant MaddScientistMatt.

“I don’t know, Jaycinth”, they heard Matt say, “that all sounds rather unbelievable to me.”

“But that’s the beauty of it, Matt”, Jaycinth replied, “It worked for ‘My Mother the Car’ and it worked for ‘Christine’. Can’t you just see it?” Jaycinth pantomimed a blazing marquee in the air with her hands. “‘Hotrods from Hell’ – Fast Cars with Bad Attitudes’; teenagers will love it, car fanatics will love it, and horror fans will love it – it will be perfect!”
Matt looked unconvinced.

“Hey ladies”, said Jaycinth as she dropped into a seat behind Patti and Paint, “Would you two help me convince Matt that a horror story featuring his souped up hot rods would be a big hit in Hollywood?” Paint and Patti exchanged glances. “I don’t know much about Hollywood”, Paint replied.

Patti said, “Horror always sells if it’s done well.” She turned to Paint with a wink, “That’s why they call me ‘Patti the Wicked’, dear; not because I’m some knife wielding maniac.” She turned back to the other two. “I think the idea has merit, Matt. You should at least think about it. Let Jaycinth give you a few ideas. She has that kind of sick mind. She could at least get you started with it.”

Matt nodded glumly. “That’s what I’m afraid of”, he said.

“Here, let me give you a few ideas”, Jaycinth said as she whipped out her notebook and started to write. Matt watched her with trepidation. Hearing the door open, he looked up to see a pair of eyes peering around the edge of the door. “Come on in. We don’t bite.” He stole a glance at Jaycinth, “much”, he amended.

“Is this the magazine writing class?”
Matt stood up and made his way to the door. “Not yet”, he said, “but it will be soon. Come in and meet the others. I’m MaddScientistMatt, by the way.” He held out his hand.

“I’m Arrowqueen” she said shaking his hand. “I’m pleased to meet you.” The door opened again and a very tall man entered with a very small woman. Arrowqueen turned around and let out a shriek. There in front of her stood the tallest man she had ever seen. He had to be at least 7 feet tall!

“Hiya, Paint; Hiya Patti” said the diminutive woman at the giant’s side.
“Nateskate and I must be following you from class to class”, said Storygirl. Arrowqueen let out a sigh of relief. Nateskate was reputed to be a gentle giant; nevertheless, she took a seat on the opposite side of the room. Tall people made her nervous and she knew she’d never be able to concentrate with him looming behind her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home