UniqueMaterial

This is a work of fiction - Absolute Fiction. For my friends at Absolute Write.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, December 03, 2005

The Reception

“Could I have your attention, please?” The speaker was a handsome, middle aged man with just a touch of grey at the temples. He tapped a glass of water with a spoon in front of the microphone. The sound rang like a high pitched bell and echoed into the far corners of the room. All conversation slowed and then stilled as the man began to speak.

“I’d like to welcome you all to the First Annual, First Ever Absolute Write Convention, Conference, and Workshop Learning Experience. We have a great week planned for you folks. There are classes, workshops, interactive media presentations and plenty of forums in which you can participate and share your work with your fellow writers and fellow guests. We hope you make the most of your stay here, have a great time, and if there’s anything we can do to make your stay with us more comfortable and a more memorable event, please don’t hesitate to call on me or one of my staff.

Asheville is a wonderful, vibrant city, full of artists and events. Shuttle buses run throughout the day from the hotel to local attractions. A schedule was included in your welcome package; if you need any further information, please check with the concierge and we’ll be happy to find answers to any questions you might have. We hope you have fun, learn a lot, and enjoy your stay here at the Grove Park Hilton of Asheville.’

As the applause died away and the guests began to mingle again, Alan Underthecity snagged two glasses of champagne from the tray of a passing waiter and handed one to Jenna.

“This is some party, Jenna. Look at all these people.” “Do you know everyone here?” he asked.

“Well, yes and no”, Jenna replied. “I try to talk to everyone at least once on the forums, but once we passed the 3,000 mark, it got a little difficult to keep track of everyone. The mods do a great job of helping out; otherwise, I’d be lost.”

“How many people do you suppose are here?”asked Allen.

“The Services Director said 1,050 signed up for the conference. I’m not sure if she counted the instructors because they’re in a different wing. I’m glad they booked the reception in the Grand Ballroom. It looks like there could be a thousand people in here. Did you get anything to eat yet, Allen?”

“Not yet; I was looking for Ray Maestrowork. Have you seen him?”

“No, but if you look for the most beautiful woman in the room you’ll most likely find Ray”, Jenna replied.

“You’re the prettiest woman in the room tonight and I don’t see him. Maybe he hasn’t shown up yet.”

“I’m sure he’ll be here Allen, I can’t see Ray staying away from a free buffet, can you?”

Allen laughed and replied, “No, I really can’t imagine that. I imagine he’s here somewhere. I think I’ll go check out that little crowd over in the corner. If he’s not there I’ll just wander around until I find him. Is there anything I can get you before I leave?”

“No, Allen, I’m fine. CC will be back any minute from the buffet line. I think we’ll find a quiet place to sit down and eat and then I’ll join you in the wandering. I can’t wait to meet everyone.”

As Allen Underthecity approached the group in the corner, it seemed to him as if half the people were trying to edge away without being obvious and the other half was trying to inch their way closer without being obvious. When he got a little closer himself, he began to understand why. He heard the woman say,
“William Haskins, you are the most insensitive, uncaring, cruel, selfish, egotistical bas**** I’ve ever encountered!” I don’t know why I put up with you and your madness year after year.”

“Yvonne, the boy is 11 years old. He’s had a birthday party, complete with pony rides since he was old enough to sit astride a horse. One year without a party is not going to cause any permanent psychological damage, I assure you. Besides, he loves staying with your mom and dad. All your sisters and brothers will be there with their kids; he’ll have all his cousins to play with and all his aunts and uncles to make a fuss over him and spoil him. He’ll be fine.” William could tell his arguments were falling on deaf ears. His wife was in fury and he could tell this was going to be a long night.

“But William,” she pleaded, “You heard him crying on the phone. He misses us. How could you not be moved by that tear-filled voice?”

William crossed his arms and shot his wife a look. “Because he’s doing it for attention; the same way he’s been manipulating us for attention for the past 11 years. As soon as he sees all his presents and starts playing with his cousins he’ll forget all about us being gone.”

“I’m sorry that you don’t take our little boy’s happiness as seriously as I do, William. “I’m going to take the next flight home in the morning. You stay here and enjoy your conference. I’ll explain to little William that his daddy has important business keeping him from attending his birthday party”, she said sarcastically. “I’m sure he’ll understand.”

“I’m sure he’ll understand his mother catering to his every whim right up until the time he leaves for college – if he ever leaves for college. Yvonne, we’ve been over this before. Will Jr. has to learn that mom and dad have a life outside his existence. He is never going to learn that if we never deny him anything or never tell him no.”

“But William, it’s his birthday”, she pleaded, “can’t you understand his disappointment?”

“And he’ll have another birthday next year and the year after that; and what about my disappointment? I booked us the best suite in the hotel. What a waste of money that was if you’re not going to be here with me to enjoy it. I could have bunked with Ray or Bill.”

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther Avila said...

Wouldn't it be cool if there were such a conference that we could all attend? I'd be so there. And it would be so great to see all our friends that we only know online.

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home